The Economics of Being Meryl Streep

by Melissa Silverstein on August 18, 2009

in Actresses,Marketing

Germany Film Mamma MiaIt’s too bad the Meryl Streep’s movies don’t come with action figures or a McDonald’s tie-in…because the woman has the midas touch way beyond the box office.

Here’s some other things that can be attributed to the Streep effect:

- The bump in Greek marriages the month after the release of Mamma Mia (flights were up 13%),

- Increase in cookware sales, cookbooks, and French cooking classes since Julie & Julia.

- Sales of Abba albums soared after Mamma Mia

- The books My Life in France and Julie & Julia are on the NY Times best selling list

- Tourism in Kenya increased after Out of Africa was released in the 80s

- Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf made it to the best seller list for the first time  after the release of The Hours.

I just love the fact that we are talking about a 60 year old woman with ancillary economic power. Remember boomer women have money and time and LOVE Meryl Streep. If she continues to pick films that are diverse and interesting and continues to show us all how she is enjoying her work and her life she will be successful.

The Streep effect: Why economists love her (The Independent)

alluhrey August 18, 2009 at 10:29 AM

i myself:
got all of karen blixen’s works (memoir and novels) after meryl streep’s movie “out of africa”;

took violin lessons after watching her in “music of the heart”;

after “the devil wears prada”, bought the “harry potter” sequel demanded by her miranda priestly,drank more starbucks coffee, subscribed to vogue and still saving for a nancy gonzalez bag;

with her upcoming film “fantastic mr. fox”, i’m completing my roald dahl collection;

i already bought and read the book “dewey” when it was rumored that she would star in the film adaptation;

i wonder what i’d be prompted to do with her next movie “it’s complicated”.

sick, no? but without regrets…

Deaf Indian Muslim Anarchist August 18, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Meryl Streep is extremely popular and well-liked by female audiences, because she’s just so likeable, it’s very much evident. Kind of like many males embrace Al Pacino or Robert DeNiro.

Too bad male executives aren’t really interested in marketing Meryl Streep’s image to sell movie merchandise.

Michelle August 18, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Meryl Streep’s popularity is also built on the fact that her private life always remained her private life. I contend that the current crop of stars/celebrities don’t know the difference. (And I’m using non-gendered terms for a reason).

When I get to know too much about an actor’s personal life (for instance, Sienna Miller and her paramours, Tom Cruise and Religion), then I really don’t want to watch them anymore.

Meryl has maintained the fantasy with class and distinction. She’s kept her own life and all its little quirks and battles to herself and her family.

Too much reality can take away the fantasy. I wish the current crop of mostly younger actors would look at Meryl and learn.

Lisa Stone August 18, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I like both actresses, Amy Adams is very likable and Meryl Streep is so talented. I am looking forward to seeing the movie.

amica August 18, 2009 at 11:53 PM

that is so true.

she is beyond a brilliant talent!

i sometime cannot even understand the urge in me why do i have to look for books which are adapted to meryl’s film? everytime i enter a bookshop, my mind suddenly switched on to look for books on her films. and i already have thirteen books of her movies… and why is that— pure meryl fascination!

Anna August 23, 2009 at 6:51 PM

True Facts: I would totally buy a Meryl Streep action figure.

peg August 24, 2009 at 7:05 AM

Saw Julie and Julia, I have never been to a movie where people clapped at the end of the movie, as if in theater at the end of a play. She brings that joy.

LFleming August 24, 2009 at 10:55 AM

In my book, Meryl Streep can do no wrong – and I find myself going to see movies I wouldn’t ordinarily see or care abt [eg The Devil Wears Prada] to check out Ms. Streep’s performance. And she never disappoints!
I agree with Michelle – she has managed to keep her private life – there is sooooo much private info out on these upcoming starlets. Do I care. Hell to the NO!
But…again Meryl is great and I will check out Julie & Julia because of Meryl, mostly.

Thomai in L.A. (it rhymes) August 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Meryl Streep is a magician

there is no other explanation for how radically gifted an actress she is- it is pure magic.

VpymZaP November 23, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Hi! sTsEOikL

Shandi Supplee June 23, 2012 at 2:27 AM

hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical points using this web site, since I experienced to reload the website many times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for much more of your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this again very soon..