It’s too bad the Meryl Streep’s movies don’t come with action figures or a McDonald’s tie-in…because the woman has the midas touch way beyond the box office.
Here’s some other things that can be attributed to the Streep effect:
- The bump in Greek marriages the month after the release of Mamma Mia (flights were up 13%),
- Increase in cookware sales, cookbooks, and French cooking classes since Julie & Julia.
- Sales of Abba albums soared after Mamma Mia
- The books My Life in France and Julie & Julia are on the NY Times best selling list
- Tourism in Kenya increased after Out of Africa was released in the 80s
- Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf made it to the best seller list for the first time after the release of The Hours.
I just love the fact that we are talking about a 60 year old woman with ancillary economic power. Remember boomer women have money and time and LOVE Meryl Streep. If she continues to pick films that are diverse and interesting and continues to show us all how she is enjoying her work and her life she will be successful.
The Streep effect: Why economists love her (The Independent)