Rape is a Feminist Issue

by Melissa Silverstein on October 1, 2009

in Feminism

So here we are on day three of Polanskigate on my blog.  Have to say that the amount of comments I’ve gotten on the site over the last couple of days has been incredible, however I wish as many people would comment on an interview with a woman director (like the one I just did with Sally Potter) or other issues that I write about regularly.

But no, this has been the big kahuna.  It seems that now that I have spoken up and levied deserved criticism on Hollywood and feminist organizations for not speaking up, the perception is that I have instantaneously abandoned my feminist roots and have joined the dark side.

That couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Because you know what?  Rape is a feminist issue.  If it wasn’t for feminists rape would still be know as “life” for so many women across the country and the world.

So just to clarify.  I am a feminist.  I don’t buy into the bullshit that I have to vote for a woman because she is a woman.  I would never, ever vote for Sarah Palin.  Because you see –  I am a feminist.  I believe in equal rights for all.  I believe in a woman’s right to determine what happens to her body.  I believe that we need to see more women’s visions in film because it will expose us to a vast amount of important stories that are missing and will improve the cultural dialgoue.

I know that my fellow feminists are out there with my back because I have heard from them on Facebook and twitter.  Feminists everywhere are aghast about the fact that we have lost sight that this man raped a 13-year-old girl.  Feminist everywhere stand up against rape because it is endemic in our society.

So to just remind people why we are all livid about this:

• 1 in 6 women will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.
  • In 2007, there were 248,300 victims of sexual assault.
  • Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.
  • Approximately 73% of rape victims know their assailants.
  • Only 6% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail.
  • 44% of victims are under age 18.

Statistics from RAINN

So even though this has been a disturbing topic to focus on for the last couple of days, and who knows if I will suffer for speaking out as I did in the LA Times this morning, at least it has afforded us an important conversation about how pervasive rape is in our culture and that it can happen to anybody at anytime.

Jan Lisa Huttner October 1, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Bravo, Melissa. You are 100% correct & feminists everywhere need to join in condemnation!!!

More examples are all around us. Reviewing the newly released film DISGRACE (screenplay By Anna-Maria Monticelli), male film critics are writing about the “affair” the John Malkovich character has with his student. One guy even writes that the film doesn’t explain why the student suddenly turns cold, thereby making it clear he has no clue what he’s seeing (namely the professor forcing himself on his student & taking advantage of his position to intimidate her into sex).

You Go Girl!
Jan

Nancy Schwartzman October 1, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Thanks, Melissa for taking what should be an obvious position on a very clear cut situation. There is no nuance in this case, no gray area at all.

The reason why so many women jump on to discuss this particular topic is because rape is endemic. We dress it up in movies, and call it “passion”, we dress it up on the casting couch and call it “business”, we dress it up on college campuses and call it “blurry”, but we all know in our guts that’s bullshit. For the most part, rape is clear cut. There are lines, and people choose to cross them, and when you’re a famous adult male raping a child, that’s off the charts.

The numbers you cite above, are why so many people give a shit. Thanks for adding your voice to the ruckus.

megapotamus October 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM

If there is a casual attitude towards sexual violence in the world and culture, and there is, can we forget the contributions of Bill Clinton? Does no one know the name Juanita Broaderick? I presume memories extend back more than a few months and the answer is Yes. Does anyone recall the reception this woman received from the media? The Left? Hollywood? Does anyone here remember how Paula Jones was reviled, mocked and insulted? Since she is at least plausibly on the “dark side” I guess (I know) she does not count. Every mote of the Polanski Defense was honed, if not invented, as the Clinton Defense. Hillary Clinton declared that the Lewinsky allegations were lies and under that umbrella declared the obvious, that if true these would be serious and indefensible charges. But that survived only the finding out that it WAS true, all of it. Then, oh, Lewinsky is a stalker, a liar, a nut. Do you people really not remember this? How old are you? Luckily the internets do go back that far, how about a bit o’ googling? Kathleen Willey went to the Oval Office in her capacity as a volunteer worker, looking to get a paying job on the day she became a widow due to her husband’s suicide. Clinton threw her into his private bathroom and groped her breasts and vagina. This is a big yawn? Disgusting. Even more disgusting is Hillary Clinton’s well known collusion in the tactical counterattacks against these women, victims all. Betsy Wright was specifically assigned the “Bimbo Eruption” beat, that is she was a paid PR flack committed to counterattacking and silencing any woman who had run in front of Bill Clinton’s crotch. Oh, but all this is from the “dark side”, right? This is all claptrap. Juanita Broaderick is a nut, a liar. She is pimping a book. Nauseating but not so nauseating as the late and little claims of outrage from self-described “feminists”. If this guy was President you would be wearing Free Polanski! thongs and marching on the LA courthouse. But the worst part of all is the grinning self-congratulations of the Left for “standing up” to who? Whoopi Goldberg? Stand up to a Clinton or two, if you have the guts. I lose sleep waiting.

Maria October 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Melissa, thank you for having the courage to take a stand.

If more women were allowed to write and direct and films that explored the female experience were funded, it might come out that girls 13-16 are not physically attracted to middle age men. That it’s actually very scary and confusing when adult men begin to hit on you, because you don’t even consider them a sexual being. They look old, grampa old.

But what we get from our predominately male filmmakers is the delusion that young girls are secretly fantasizing about old men all the time. Think “American Beauty”, “Broken Flowers” and any number of films. Not me or any of my friends ever had any interest in 40-60 year old men…not EVER. Even at 20 we still weren’t interested. The sexually sophisticated teen that seduces the middle age man is the point of view of a pedophile. Sorry guys.

The petition begs the question, how many of the men on the list have taken advantage of young women over the course of their career?

Maria M October 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM

You are so correct. Rape and sexual coercion of young women and children are the ultimate feminist issue. They stem from the unequal balance of power both physically and financially that men have in our society. Behind closed doors that physical advantage creates fear in even adult women and the societal power that men yield allow them to weild that physical power with often minimal consequences. Polanski is a perfect example of this. Where is the outrage from the actresses and actors that a child was used so selfishly – reduced to an object for Polanski’s sick fantasies? Perhaps they themselves are so much part of the machine they can have no objectivity to it. The women of Hollywood, as they age, complain of limited roles, the pressure to be forever young and beautiful. Don’t they see that the objectification which makes their opportunities shrink is part and parcel of their outcry that Polanski either did not commit rape (in contrast to all the evidence gathered during the investigation) or that he has “suffered” enough and is such a great artist he should not have to pay for breaking the LAW. Thank you for your insistence at keeping feminists honest. Feminism sometimes has a difficult time, I think, between advocating for women to be able to free to express themselves sexually at whatever age and the fact that young women can be sorely used by adults in the name of sexual liberty. Rape is not sex. It is violence. Period.

Eugenie Graham October 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Thank you for showing who is real in Hollywood, and who isn’t.

Law is in any country, nothing more than a really terrific debating society. Rape is not about debate. If the facts are correct,Polanski raped a 13 year old girl. I repeat, if the facts are correct, not shades of correct on the part of all involved. Everyone involved in this case has to be absolutely accurate on what happened, or the facts will come forward differently this time. Polanski ran away from the fact, if that is so, that he raped a young girl. He admitted such? Cowards run away, and must have some form of punishment. I just wonder if the punishment of prison really fits the crime. I’d rather see people like Mr. Polanski lose his income statement, and the privileged life he has had for far too long, while the money he owes paid towards helping young women recover from the after affects of rape.

There is a morality in this world. I just wonder if Hollywood has forgotten what it is in the quest to sell themselves to the public. Imagination has overtaken common decency, and everyone is to blame. Fantasy is acceptable in a mind, but not in actions. How else can we stop the horrible crime of rape everywhere in the world.

I’m going to take a leave of absence from spending money on films until I see a dramatic change in the attitude of those who endorse Mr. P. and others like him. Let them find a solution better than prison for him, so that women can live freely.

Empty your pockets, Hollywood.

Kate October 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM

well, I admit I did find you through an article about Polanski. I can’t tell you how heartening it is to read your view on this. Especially after reading “My personal thoughts are let the guy go,” said Peg Yorkin, founder of the Feminist Majority Foundation. “It’s bad a person was raped. But that was so many years ago. The guy has been through so much in his life. It’s crazy to arrest him now. Let it go.”

And more horrifically, according to the FBI 1 in 3-4 girls are sexually assaulted by the age of 18.

C.K. October 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I’m shocked and appalled that the founder of the Feminist Majority Foundation said “let it go”. Yes, this happened a long time ago but what is Hollywood saying to the thirteen year old girls of today when they line up in support of Polanski? I don’t see how what he does for a living (and however well he does it or not), whatever else he’s been through in his life or how many years ago it was that he raped this girl makes any difference. These people standing up for him should be ashamed of themselves and how they’re contributing to a culture that already all too often condones sexual assault and makes victims feel that what happened to them was their fault.

She was thirteen. She said no. He raped her.

I know we’re all preaching to the choir here. It’s just so damn frustrating to see so many people in the movie world turn a blind eye to these facts like they’re meaningless.

Bill Carroll October 1, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Good Day. I’m glad to see that there is some reason and logic prevailing in our world. I am a conservative but hold no animus toward anyone for their beliefs. That being said, I am ashamed of all of these people who don’t seem to understand that assault is assault, even if you buddy committed the crime. Thank you for standing up for women like my sisters, nieces, and friends. I applaud your bravery, even though it’s a sad day when standing up for what’s right is called being brave.
You’ve got more support than you know.

Karen October 1, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Thanks for posting the statistics people need to remember the “bigger picture” amidst it all. Keep up the great work on your site!

Meela October 1, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I too found you through a news article, but I look forward to reading your site in the future.

I agree with what you and others have said, that it sends the wrong message to victims, that it’s astounding how few are speaking up, and that no, the actions of one does not cast a shadow upon all who practice art. But the idea that someone can get away with horrific crimes because they are a “genius” does. It’s wrong and it’s BS.

What frankly pisses me off is that’s not what was done, it’s who it is. Because he made a few decent flicks, and of course the terrible murder of his wife and child, he is somehow beyond reproach and that’s not right. No one in a society should be above reproach. If instead of RP it was Uwe Boll who had done this, people would be screaming for his head.

The disconnect that people are having is unreal.

sara lee October 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM
Portia October 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM

It’s nice that you self-identify as a feminist, and that you blog about feminism vis a vis the entertainment industry. You are really doing a great service to women, as Hollywood presently appears to be an absolute cesspool of misogyny and female exploitation. Perhaps, however, you could think a little bit more before taking swipes at women like Sarah Palin. I know that it is fashionable to hate on her in certain cultural classes, but when women cut down other women it hurts us all. The old “oh I support women, just not that woman” thing. Sarah Palin, while personally opposing abortion on religious grounds, has no interest in denying you the right to an abortion or any other right. Anyone who has bothered to actually research not just her positions but her actions as governor would know that. It is of course very difficult to resist having a knee jerk reaction upon hearing certain things about politicians, but Palin is the victim of a vicious and, at heart very sexist media campaign to minimize her. “They” want you to hate Palin. Who are “they?” They are the patriarchal media and they do not want women in power, especially ones they’ve haven’t put their stamp of approval upon. And no, she didn’t make rape victims pay for their own rape kits.

Krista October 1, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I’m with you. One hundred percent. I, too, am a feminist. Thanks for writing about this issue. I love this blog–love reading about what women in Hollywood are doing. But this issue about Polanski NEEDS to be raised. Everywhere. Anywhere. He’s a criminal, plain and simple and should be treated as one. If we don’t speak up and speak out, nothing will change.

And we can make change. For anyone interested, check out: Yes Means Yes! Visions of Female Sexual Power & A World Without Rape at your local bookstore.

Elena Perez October 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Just wanted to restate that California NOW has been on this from the time of Polanski’s arrest, both on Twitter and the website, and very upfront about condemning him.

bruce nahin October 1, 2009 at 6:47 PM

THE NEW AGENDA Has created an online petition signing on the Polanski case.

I do however, humbly disagree on your statement that voting gender is BS. I published a blog( yes I am a white conservative male but in the feminist trenches since 1971 none the less) at The New Agneda advocating voting for women irrespective of their political agendas because until parity is achieved women remain powerless…and yes that means to hold your nose and vote for Palin, (or Whitman, or Fiona here in Calif) or any woman until party is achieved and the agendas separate from party become important.

bruce nahin October 1, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Melissa please read my post about women and parity at

for those who want to sign the petition just go to:

Shraga Elam - Zurich/Switzerland October 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM

It is obvious that Polanski is not the only sex criminal in Hollywood. Sexual abuse seems to be a very common praxis in the Showbiz generally. The support for Polanski from Holywood and all the prizes that he got over the years strengthen this impression. Polanski himself admitted in an interview in 1987 that at the time he had committed the crime he had not thought he did something wrong and in 1987 he believed that he was too close to the forest in order to see the trees. I wonder how many other trees were/are in this forest? Polanski is for sure not the only one. Hollywood should be investigated!!!

BTW, the question should not be why Polanski was arrested now? but rather why only now? Why was he invited officially to get a prize in Zurich for his life work? His life work includes at least one rape and amny sexual abuses of minors. The hights Swiss official responsible for culture was supposes to hold a laudatio for the rapist.
Only some Swiss police officers and the Swiss minister of justice (a woman) prevented this from happening.

saffronlie October 1, 2009 at 9:04 PM

It is distressing to me how this news story has revealed how many people would still rather place responsibility for rape on anyone but the rapist. You are absolutely right that rape is a feminist issue and that is why I have been so affected by this news story. The one thing that reassures me is the outpouring of condemnation on the internet. All the blogs and opinion pieces that I have read acknowledge the fact of the rape and the need for artists or celebrities to be held accountable to the law, just like everyone else. As always, people are speaking out on the internet, even if they can’t get their voices heard in mainstream media — and I really admire you for doing both.

Allison October 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM
Helen Hill October 1, 2009 at 11:14 PM

(reposted from “The Silence is Deafening”)

Okay, I have to say something to Mr. Mega. And it is a Mr. isn’t it?

What in the hell are you posting here for? To rankle and tweak those women who post here? Do you get some buzz or joy or satisfaction from imagining that we are hypocrites over an event for which many of these women were still children? Do you not know that President Clinton was impeached (for lying under oath) about sex?

But more importantly, I see some underlying themes reminiscent of misogyny in your postings. You have attempted to define women as inconsistent based on who they like, regarding rape. Well, that’s not what is happening here. You are attempting, in my view, to say that rape is not rape depending on one’s point of view.

To that I say, “Bullshit.”

This is an indefensible position whether held by a man or a woman. Rape is a severe violation of the worst order. How many rapes do men encounter in their daily lives? How is it that well over 90% of all rapes are men preying upon women? HOw can you or anyone else justify that by making the specious statement that it depends on who you support?! That, quite frankly, is a statement a misogynist would make. Perhaps it could be a man angry at women because he lost his job while a woman kept hers. That is what I could imagine, Mr. Mega.

You want to bitch, fine. Why is this okay with you? Why is it that you try to justify rape by saying women are inconsistent about it? Rape is a horrible act. You CANNOT justify regardless of anyone else’s positions on the matter.

It’s wrong. It’s always wrong. And it doesn’t matter what you or I think about Bill Clinton, Larry Craig, the Garrido perp, or dozens of others who may or may not have gotten away from being prosecuted.

It’s a moral imperative. You can’t justify it by saying “Look over here.” It’s scummy when you do that. Because what one might really be saying is “Rape is okay.”

Are you implying that rape is okay? I would be interested in your background and your history of your relationships and dating experiences. What say ye?

Helen Hill

Marjorie Liu October 1, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I applaud you for taking a stand on this issue, which should be a no-brainer — and yet, has revealed the true character of so many who present themselves as decent human beings. A man raped a child. It is so clear. But the hypocrisy continues, and I am appalled.

James Johnston October 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM

I have not followed this blog mainly because I didn’t know it existed, until I followed a link from a blog/comment by someone who was as offended as I am by the attitude of the “Hollywood elite” that this Romanski thing was no big deal

As a retired lawyer, I think it is a very big deal. Let a confessed rapist go free – and then we, the people, confess that it is money and connections that count. They do, too much, but I can only fantasize about my lawyering days, bringing a motion that the defendant should be forgiven because he was such a good guy.

In fact, I can remember making such an argument, and the judge, now retired as a federal judge in the Southern District of California, saying “nice try, but …”

What offends me most is how the Hollywood elite have played so completely into the hands of the rednecks. I agree with said elite on most issues – but on this one – what in the hell is wrong with those people?

I think the author of this blog – I just followed the link, so I don’t know her name – ought to win some prizes (e.g., the Nieman) for journalism

TA October 2, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Thank you for your posts. It is very refreshing to read this from a feminist perspective, particularly in Hollywood. I still cannot fathom how so many in the Hollywood community can defend someone like this. In any other setting, he would have been extradited over three decades ago from Europe, carted back to the US, and send off to jail. Why aren’t we asking of the artistic community, where were you for the past three decades in working with and defending someone who by his own admission raped a 13 year old? How can anyone with a child, especially a daughter, be so nonchalant about what he has done? Sad. Just sad.

Ilse October 2, 2009 at 1:48 AM

You go, girl!!
Hère in France, it’s the same. People with children, like Monicca Belucci still protect Polanski. Fortunately, we’ve got others reacting against it like Luc Besson

But, yet again, most so-called famous people want Polanski to run free so they will finally feel assured that their celebrity-status will keep them safe from being sentenced for past and future misbehavior and/or crimes. Caving for the petition will create a whole new perception on sexual assault and will allow the existance of a new, latent caste system in proceution.

Let’s go back 500 years where, for a similar crime, aristocrats paid fines and common people suffered corporal punishement.

Annie October 2, 2009 at 6:47 AM

Way to go, Melissa!

I know one of the directors who signed the petition, and considering his views on everything else, I was shocked to hear he signed it.

This issue is 100% black and white. We don’t give other criminals a pass because they had a tough life (just ask a few prisoners how much they’ve “gone through”). We don’t give other criminals a break because they make great art. And we don’t give other criminals a break just because “it happened a long time ago” (unless the statute of limitations has run out, of course).

TO PORTIA:

I think you misunderstood Melissa’s comments on Sarah Palin. She wasn’t taking swipes at her; she was just using her as an example of someone she would not vote for just because she’s a woman. She didn’t say anything negative about her, just that she wouldn’t vote for her. So relax.

GC Burton October 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM

You are a daily inspiration. You keeping focused, on track, and encourage the rest of us to be better people, more active, and more thoughtful. Thank you.

GC Burton October 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM

You are a daily inspiration. You keep focused, on track, and encourage the rest of us to be better people, more active, and more thoughtful. Thank you.

megapotamus October 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Helen Hill, thank you for that response. It is emotional, that is cool. It is an emotional issue. I don’t think I have to go to Whoopi-esque lengths here. No, I am in no way trying to excuse or justify Polanski, quite the reverse. It is certainly fine and dandy that you are unclear on the Clinton events though you brook that as no excuse for anyone on the Polanski side. I don’t say it is wrong to indict Polanski. Like most folks here I consider it essential, crucial, just and WAY overdue. But the original point, of course, to the Silence is Deafening post is that metaphysically important question… where are the feminists, so called, on this and why is this even an issue? Where does this hesitance come from? Why are these people saying these apparently mad things? Well, much of what is needed here is sadly a history lesson. Recent history certainly but if the proprietrix here and the commentors are truly amazed and baffled, I offer a simple explanation. The Polanski Defense is the Clinton Defense replayed. Those who were in knickers will not remember that and that is good, actually. I am glad your parents or simple luck spared you the 20/20 interview where a tearful Juanita Broderick relates how Bill Clinton invited himself into her hotel room at a state health conference, knocked her down and held her down by biting her lip while he raped her. You might have heard a mysterious turn of phrase, “Better put some ice on that.” and not know where it came from. According to Broderick that is what Clinton said to her as he left her, bleeding and weeping and expected to work as a lobbyist for the rest of the conference. Anyone shocked at the treatment of Polanski is ignorant of Clinton. Aren’t the “leaders” Melissa seeks all old enough to be on record in the Clinton years? Yes. Even if they want to indict Polanski these professional PR mavens know that the internets were invented before the Clinton admin and the record goes back forever. Verbatim. That is presuming of course that they DO NOT adhere to the arguments of the Polanski/Clinton defense; it was a long time ago, she really wanted it… we all know the drill. Believe it or not, Ms Hill, my purpose here is as a concerned friend. Sound funny? Maybe you could better call it a public service from this once-married, no kids fella with a current girlfriend of three years. I have never had any sort of aconsensual sex with another human and I have never struck a woman ever but was assaulted by my ex-wife on several occassions. I’m 44, laid off from my job as a researcher for a big firm in March and come from New Jersey where my father was a bigamist, contractor and unskilled gambler in that order. Did you think I was afraid to reveal myself? What was that all about, anyhow? You may check the name Kenneth Watson on the ssx offender registry if you like.

Anyhow, it is distressing to see my fellow citizens and, on the Polanski matter, my brothers in (rhetorical) arms so bewildered. A question was asked, basically, What’s up with that? Does being a great artiste trump being a rapist? Well, for some folks we know it does. This is not mysterious for the above stated reasons. We saw it all on CNN ten years ago. Or those of us who could drink and vote back then did. Your generation was the beneficiary, like Clinton, of a mass public aversion to the details of Clinton’s actions old and new. Children were largely and properly shielded from that but you folks are all grown up now and trying to make sense of a chaotic world. In the postings here we see a cry for a moral foundation and some consistency. I agree, wholeheartedly. I am not attacking anyone here and I don’t think you will be able to find such an instance but quote me if you like and I will stand behind, explain or apologize for those statements on the merits. All I ask is that you hold your so-called leaders to the same standard. Go a-googling and see what the evidence is to these attacks and how it was received by NOW, Susan Estrich, Smeals… oh, and Hillary Clinton as well. Her response to these unfortunate “Bimbo Eruptions” is truly disgusting. This is a dark, dark chapter in the nation’s history and friends it is not all written yet. Why? Because these same people, the authors of the Polanski Defense are still out there and, surprise! doing the same thing. “It wasn’t rape-rape.” is a clone of Clinton’s claim that Lewinsky fellating him was not “sex”. This kind of obscurantism is poison. It allows the talking away of monstrosities as demonstrated by Polanski. We MUST know what the meaning of “is” is. We must know what the meanig of “rape” is. And if you ask “why” about anything important you had better be prepared for an answer that makes you uncomfortable because if it wasn’t, you wouldn’t have to ask. Thank you all for your time, I know I am the turd in the punchbowl at this party.

Helen Hill October 3, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Yes, Mr. Mega, you are a turd in the punchbowl.
Whether emotional or not, which I take as a compliment, rape is evil.

You cannot excuse it away but pointing fingers at others. That is a dishonest sleight of hand. It is not even an honest intellectual argument.

It is simply dishonest.

Quit being a turd. The only reason you are is to excuse your own conduct.

megapotamus October 3, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Real good job at not reading a damn thing. Pathetic. I didn’t realize this was a childrens’ site.

Helen Hill October 3, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Mr. Mega,

You are right. I started to read your post, but stopped as it became more and more incoherent.

The more you write, the less cogent the argument, and the more revealing of the amount of rationalizations and hyperbole you employ.

Try again. And stay on topic.

Thomai in L.A. (it rhymes) October 3, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Keep on keepin on woman!

and this right here, “I believe that we need to see more women’s visions in film because it will expose us to a vast amount of important stories that are missing and will improve the cultural dialgoue.”

is gold.

thank you.

Thomai in L.A. (it rhymes) October 4, 2009 at 3:31 PM

To the conservative who believes in “parity”, Bruce Nahin,
most feminists did not support Palin because, regardless of her gender, genitalia, the fact that she is a mother, sister and wife,
she is an idiot and a danger to our freedom of choice (among too many other things to list).

We’re more intelligent than that scheme. Good luck and may you grow in your understanding of feminism. May your “feminism” include not forcing any woman to be 2nd class to any fetus. May you understand that if you were to personally attempt to make me go to term with a pregnancy didn’t choose, I would attack with ultimate force.

I’m glad your against rape/sexual assault, but, you don’t have to reference your sisters, nieces, etc. Men and boys are raped DAILY as well.

Thomai in L.A. (it rhymes) October 4, 2009 at 3:32 PM

gosh- lost of typos in that comment, but I hope you get the gist anyway.

Kate October 4, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Don’t feel bad, Melissa! I’m sure many of us have read every post on this site even if we don’t comment very frequently. I, for one, usually only comment when I think it will add to a conversation, and keep my “Hell yeah!”s or “Good to know!”s in my head. It’s all still very much appreciated!

Rhea October 5, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Thank you for taking on this issue. Every woman is affected by rape whether or not she is ever the victim of the crime. It’s an epidemic that has to stop!!

Tammy October 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM

At first I thought it might be a woman who had some personal experience in Washington she was trying to share with us. But Mr. Mega is clearly a right wing operative being paid to post on various “liberal” sites.

Tammy October 5, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Read the article below. The author is dead right regarding the “casting couch”.

Constance October 5, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Thank you for putting your opinions out there for discussion. I know that women are deeply affected by rape, as well as men and boys. What concerns me is the multi-billion dollar porn industry and how people are objectified in our society. And, participation is the key, how do we each participate in denying our humanity?

Angela Rose October 7, 2009 at 5:33 PM

PROMOTING AWARENESS, VICTIM EMPOWERMENT (PAVE) CHALLENGES CELEBRITIES SUPPORT OF ROMAN POLANSKI

Nationwide Rallies on October 10, 2009

WHAT: On Saturday, October 10 at 7pm, rallies will be held in front of movie theatres across the country and abroad in response to the startling media and Hollywood support of Roman Polanski, the film director convicted of sexual assault and fleeing the country. These powerful demonstrations happening on October 10 are part of a global campaign, Rape IS Rape. PAVE is seeking support from all moviegoers to join in helping shatter the silence of sexual violence. People in cities across North America will gather signatures at movie theatres for a petition that supports survivors and a call to action to hold perpetrators accountable.
Visit: http://www.RapeIsRape.com

WHY: According to the US Department of Justice, every two minutes someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted. Sexual assault is one of the most under reported crimes, with 60% still being left unreported. The outcry of support for a sexual assault perpetrator is a strong message we are sending out to victims across the country that they will be forever silenced and blamed for these atrocious acts.

WHO: This collaborative effort is being orchestrated by the nonprofit PAVE: Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment, who was responsible for the 2007 nationwide “Call it RAPE Protest” that was held in over 40 cities and covered on CNN, TIME, and NBC’s Today Show. PAVE uses education and action to shatter the silence of sexual violence with targeted social, educational and legislative tactics. PAVE initiatives have been implemented in over 55 cities and in 3 countries. http://www.PavingTheWay.net

steve March 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM

why don’t you write about the female teacher who had sexual relations with a student under 15 and claimed it was love and is not charged the same as a man would. start a petition that treats rapists the same, then maybe the law would be fare except that only women get raped, its just that men are seen as worse than women in this situation which is unfair.

Tires October 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Would love to constantly get updated great blog!

pandora uk December 1, 2011 at 3:22 AM

You had some nice points here. I done a research on the topic and got most peoples will agree with you

Hyman Chilek December 1, 2011 at 9:12 AM

What an excellent description! No idea how you wrote this post..it’d take me long hours.

Gestiè´¸n de una empresa April 17, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Thanks for all your valuable work on this web page. My mum delights in getting into research and it’s really obvious why. My partner and i hear all of the lively tactic you give useful things via your blog and as well invigorate response from other people on this subject matter and my child is actually becoming educated a lot of things. Enjoy the remaining portion of the year. You’re conducting a good job.