Feminist Flashback: A Look Back at Murphy Brown

by Melissa Silverstein on November 4, 2009

in TV

The Early Show on CBS hosted the cast of Murphy Brown for a reunion.  God, I loved that show. Can we please get another show like this? Pretty please. Maybe we can convince Diane English to create a new show. I promise to get everyone I know to watch it even if it is only half as good as Murphy.

Here’s an interesting tid-bit I picked up. CBS wanted Heather Locklear to play Murphy. Can you believe that? No offense to Heather but she would have sucked as Murphy Brown. Thank god that Diane English fought for Candice Bergen. Seems that none of the cast members were at the top of CBS’ list. Glad the suits didn’t win that argument cause that cast rocked.

Is it out on DVD?

Here’s the reunion

And part of the birth episode

Deaf Indian Muslim Anarchist November 4, 2009 at 10:20 AM

you ain’t the only one. I also think Heather Locklear is a horrible actress and only became famous for being a blonde with a cute face.

I was a child when Murphy Brown was on the air and my mum watched it sometimes. I remember that watching an independent, working woman on TV left a very strong impression on me.

Kara M. November 4, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I absolutely LOVED this show when I was a kid! And vividly remember laughing out loud through many of the shows. Candice really had great comic timing. It’s funny now that I’m older I realize that I consistently identified with strong women on television. Too bad the networks don’t have a clue what women really want.

Caroline Picard November 5, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Murphy Brown was probably the last show you will see about a woman that strong. During that time period we had shows about women that were independent and outspoken, not only Murphy Brown, but The Golden Girls and Designing Women. This was a time period when it was okay to be that type of woman, an “in your face, independent, I know who I am and what I want woman”. Understand today Murphy would probably be a “cougar” or whatever they tend to lable us today. I’ve always enjoyed the “adjectives” they love to give women.

Plus the Murphy Brown show was set in Washington, it was extremely political, and did we love that. Unfortunately today the young women have Paris Hilton and Ms. Spears (oh that’s the pride and joy of Louisiana, my home state) to look up to as “this is who I want to be when I grow up”.

I was in my 30′s when this show came out, working hard, playing hard and enjoying being a strong woman. I always looked forward to getting my job reviews back then, because it always began with the words “you know Caroline we love your work, it’s great, BUT” there was always a big BUT, and what normally followed was “you are not a team player”, oh damn, well I don’t like the team.

Anyway, yeah we need more shows like this today and if you can find Diane English, I too would like to speak with her.

20tauri November 12, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I LOVED Murphy Brown. Sadly, there isn’t anything out there today that even comes close. On the plus side, season 1 is out on DVD so go check it out. Thanks for covering this.

COLBY October 31, 2011 at 12:27 PM

@Miss_Law_ 1 unfollowed you between 3PM and 4PM. See who: http://t.co/x75PnCiF

SANTO November 3, 2011 at 6:32 AM

831 likes: Getting Started on the Google+ API – Google+ Platform Blog http://t.co/49GqvSzb #ifttt+twitter via @toplessbeach

VIRGIL November 5, 2011 at 10:57 AM