I spend a lot (too much) time in the twittersphere and the blogopshere and from the people I follow and read (lots of movie, TV and pop culture people and feminists) you’d never think that New Moon is opening next week. Granted all the movie folks have turned attention to all things awards and Oscar, but just looming on the horizon, a little over a week away, is a huge juggernaut New Moon. This is a franchise like Transformers and Harry Potter yet it does not get the proper respect in movieland. I’m not talking about the content of the film, I’m talking pure numbers. Why is New Moon not as respected? Maybe it’s not respected because it is targeted at girls and women? I’m not surprised at the disdain for all things Twilight. Think about how Mamma Mia was treated. The movie has grossed over 600 million worldwide, yet that movie gets no respect.
Let’s think about the potential of New Moon. According to Paul Dergarabedian who tracks the box office at Hollywood.com, the opening weekend of New Moon will hands down beat the Twilight numbers of $69 million. What we also might witness is the biggest opening weekend of the year. According to Dergerabedian, this movie has the potential to beat the Transformers sequel opening weekend numbers. That movie made $108 million. That movie also opened when school was out of session in most places at the end of June, and on a Wednesday, and this movie is opening the weekend of the 20th of November when school is still in session and yet it still might beat it out. Degarabedian says the opening weekend will be “girls kicking the crap out of the boys.” He says that this is the “holy grail” and that this is to the female audience was “Star Wars was to the guys.”
Let’s just think about that. A franchise fueled by girls and women has the potential of beating the machines for the box office record. This movie could potentially be “guy proof” meaning they won’t need guys to see it for it to kick some box office butt. Whereas the other franchises NEED women to make their numbers.
Here are just some other facts that are helping to propel the film to huge heights:
- According to movietickets.com (h/t Thompson on Hollywood) tickets to New Moon are selling at 4 times the rate than Twilight. There will be several thousand screenings at midnight around the country on November 19. Many will be sold out.
- According to Fandango.com New Moon has already sold more advance tickets than Twilight and it is the company’s 4th biggest seller, and is tracking to be the #1 best seller ever.
- The trailer for New Moon broke records for viewing and was watched over 18 million times the week ending November 5. The two previous weeks had 25 million and 21 million.
- 18 million fans voted Twilight into one of the top movie slots (and also Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson for best actress and actor) for the People’s Choice Awards.
- The New Moon soundtrack debuted at number 1 and has been a top 10 seller for 4 weeks.
So folks, the question is are you going to see New Moon and do you love all things Twilight?