Brittany Murphy- RIP

by Melissa Silverstein on December 21, 2009

in Actresses

Brittany in Clueless (she's on the left)

Brittany in Clueless (she's on the left)

The death of Brittany  Murphy at 32 is another one of those moments where you can see the toll that Hollywood takes on people.

I mean what 32 year old person has a heart attack?

People are saying drugs, bmurphyut what about food?  It looks like over the last years that her weight has been up and down (mostly down lately).

And anyone who knows anything about eating disorders knows that your heart gives out.  Not enough food equals heart attack.

This young woman was very promising — think Clueless and Girl Interrupted and then just got caught up in the Hollywood bullshit and to me lost it creatively (Uptown Girls) and it looks like personally too.   It looks like Brittany was another victim of the Hollywood meat grinder.  Very sad.

Here’s what her Clueless director Amy Heckerling said yesterday to Scott Feinberg of And the Winner Is.

I think she felt the pressure to become a different sort of commodity to survive in show business, and I think it was awful.

Check out the full transcript here.  There is also an audio version of the Heckerling interview.

When Tabloids Overshadow the Career: How Do We Memorialize Brittany Murphy? (Defamer)

ed December 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM
Deaf Indian Muslim Anarchist December 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Poor woman. RIP

barb December 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Unfortunately, heart attack in young patients is not all that uncommon. Rare, certainly, but it exists. Having witnessed a friend lose her young son to sudden cardiac death (which is what it’s called), i would not automatically assume that Ms. Murphy’s death was connected to an eating disorder or drugs.

May she rest in peace.

Ci December 21, 2009 at 12:18 PM

This is deeply tragic. She had an uneven carreer, but I liked a lot of her early work. I also greatly enjoyed the movie The Dead Girl in which she starred a few years ago. A very underrated movie.

RIP

Anemone December 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I liked her in Uptown Girls (though the movie itself didn’t really work). She was fun.

32 is young to die these days, and it’s really sad, but she had a good run before that. Not everyone can say that.

LisaB December 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM

It makes me so mad. I don’t know if it had anything to do with her death, but clearly she was affected by the pressure to look a certain way.

Celebrities like Jessica Simpson and Kelly Clarkson are hounded in an incredibly cruel way when they gain any weight. I especially hate the catty blogs that take women celebrities to task for deviating from the norm even slightly.

You know what, some women weren’t meant to be stick thin. We all have different bodies–get over it! If you are a talented singer or gifted at acting, it seems that the price you have to pay for practicing your craft at a high level is to fit the physical mold as best as possible: pretty, thin, and men should want to have sex with you. We’ve really got to figure out a way to correct this horrible problem in our society. It’s eating women alive.

Chris Evans December 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM

She was great in The Dead Girl, which was also just a generally amazing film.

sally December 22, 2009 at 1:30 AM

You can have cardiac arrest for many reasons other than cardiovascular disease or being fat …or from drugs. Karen Carpenter died famously from cardiac arrest from her constant dieting. At minimum, abusively dieting can make your health brittle, so you mix in anything from diabetes (which they say she might have had), the flu, drugs, heat or overexercise or the last straw in an electrolyte imbalance from dieting and you’ve got a heart attack even in your teens.

daizan December 22, 2009 at 8:42 AM
Valerie Meachum December 23, 2009 at 9:12 PM

I did a huge double-take that day, since I had just mentioned her on my blog not an hour before I read the news (with regard to her having become a “different commodity,” in fact). So sad.

Thomai in L.A. (it rhymes) December 24, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I realize it may seem out of character, but, I loved Uptown Girls~ loved it.
That and her stunning performance in Girl Interrupted earned respect from me. A few of my friends have worked with her on film and in charity events where she gave of herself generously in many ways.

Was it drugs or nutrition that killed her?
Would we ask about the latter if it was a male?
I don’t know.
It may have been a heart condition know one knew about.

The bottom line is that a woman who contributed to the world as an entertainer, has passed. May her transition be one of peace.

los angeles acting classes January 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM

This was so sad…I wasn’t ever a HUGE fan of hers, but she was able to convey some emotions that really struck a chord with me sometimes, I think she was a really great actress at points in her career. And it’s always sad to see someone so young die.

-Michelle

Alyce Henfling June 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your web-site is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this blog. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and just could not come across. What a perfect web-site.