Hollywood Feminist of the Day: Ellen Page

by Melissa Silverstein on April 5, 2010

in Actresses,Politics

Here’s some quotes from her interview with The Guardian while promoting Whip It in England.

I am a feminist and I am totally pro-choice, but what’s funny is when you say that people assume that you are pro-abortion. I don’t love abortion but I want women to be able to choose and I don’t want white dudes in an office being able to make laws on things like this. I mean what are we going to do – go back to clothes hangers?

If there’s a movie starring a man that tanks, then I don’t see an article about the fact that the movie starred a man and that must be why it bombed. Then a film comes out where a woman is in the lead, or a movie comes out where a bunch of girls are roller derbying, and it doesn’t make much money and you see articles about how women can’t carry a film.

Gotta love the Hollywood star who stands up for abortion rights and women in film in the same interview.

Ellen Page: ‘I’m totally pro-choice. I mean what are we going to do – go back to clothes hangers?’ (The Guardian)

Chris Evans April 5, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Love it! She sounds like a W&H commenter :p

Ellen April 5, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I knew I loved Ellen Page for a reason and this is totally why!

grrljock April 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I read the Guardian interview. Ellen Page sounds like a very well-grounded young woman, which is no small feat considering the celebrity attention she’s received since “Juno”. It’s really heartening to encounter that,

Deaf Indian Muslim Anarchist April 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM

that was great. I agree, pro-choice doesn’t equate pro-abortion.

BumpCityKitty April 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Ellen Page is officially my new girl crush. What a badass. People in the mainstream film industry don’t discuss the under representation of women in front of and behind the camera nearly enough. It’s so refreshing to see such a popular young actress calling Hollywood out on it’s BS!

Julie Kerr April 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Love Ellen Page!

Whip It was awesome! I’m not sure why it didn’t do so well at the box office. When I went and saw it there was a packed theater of evenly mixed crowd. It was just a fun punk rock movie everybody in the theater seemed to enjoy!

nerri April 7, 2010 at 7:46 AM

hmmm

I don’t like to be the gossip crow but maybe you should read this:

I don’t know if it is true, the article is quite disgusting but it is Hollywood and you never know for sure…

Maureen April 9, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Another fan of Ellen Page here. A courageous young woman to take some unusual roles such as those in Mouth to Mouth and Hard Candy. I found both films fascinating. I also liked the lighter but worthwhile Wilby Wonderful. I think she’s fabulous and am delighted that she identifies as feminist. She’s certainly not the typical mainstream cookie-cutter studio-manufactured actress; I’m surprised there isn’t more bizarre gossip about her out there such as that referred to above.

Danial Mcbane June 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.