My CNN Interview on Kick-Ass and Hit Girl

by Melissa Silverstein on April 17, 2010

in Actresses,Movies,Politics

Here it is. I was able to get one good point in the piece.

What do you think?

Chris Evans April 17, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I highly doubt most of this criticism would exist were the character Hit-Boy instead.

People’s minds are blown by seeing a young girl do what we’re used to seeing boys do on screen.

Ci April 18, 2010 at 5:30 AM

I totally agree with you, Chris.

I fail to understand how critics in America seems to be more concerned about Hit Girl having a foul mouth than her actually being a brutal assasin. This is obviously not a movie for children, so I don’t see why it’s so controversial. Surely adults can take hearing the “c-word” once in an R-rated movie?

Seeing this in the theater with a bunch of (adult) friends, both female and male, we all agreed that Hit Girl is the coolest action “hero” in a very long time. She IS empowering for women, and she is refreshing. All the men I talked to enjoyed her almost as much as the women did.

Scott Mendelson April 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Absolutely, much of the criticism stems from the idea that it’s a girl doing all of this R-rated action and/or profanity. No one cares if boys emulate bad role models in movies, but we go crazy when Twilight or Kick-Ass features female protagonists who are flawed and/or have a bit of ‘chemical X’.

andrea ureno April 19, 2010 at 1:07 AM

I think you made two excellent points. You looked great and were extremely articulate doing so…You go, girl…

Patti April 19, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Saw your clip a couple times last night – you were great! Good points, and very articulate.

I just saw your tweet and wanted to let you know, the “girl” vampire in Let The Right One In, is not a girl. I hope they don’t change that in the remake. (wish they weren’t remaking it, actually)

glimmer April 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM

and melissa mania grows !!!! :)

Margot Magowan April 23, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Melissa,

You are awesome! Great job on CNN.

I love this character. I’d much rather have my daughter watch her story than Sleeping Beauty’s. The MPAA couldn’t be more backward. It’s so sad that a panel of old men decides what is OK for girls to see. I’d rather hear the dreaded c-word than watch another movie about a helpless girl getting rescued.

Margot

Linn D. April 26, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I saw “Kick Ass” this weekend. And I LOVED Hit Girl. She’s absolutely my hero. And since I’m a female adult over the age of 17, I can separate the difference between a movie and real life. If I was a child, I shouldn’t see this movie – whether it was Hit Boy or Hit Girl. And as far as using the C word, really? Using a synonym for my genital area is a bad thing? I don’t even understand why it’s a “bad” word, but I digress… Big Media, I don’t really see the problem. But hey, if an empowered young woman rocks the boat. Rock Away!!