When Woody Allen Is Defending You…

by Melissa Silverstein on May 17, 2010

in Actresses,News

Roman Polanski’s name is in the news again.  At the Cannes Film Festival another petition on Polanski’s behalf is being circulated by Bernard-Henri Levy, and directors like Jean-Luc Godard, Olivier Assayas as well as Agnes Varda have all signed.

Another one of his defenders is Woody Allen.  You know you’re in trouble when the person standing up for you is Woody Allen.

Props to Michael Douglas for refusing to sign and for saying so publicly.  People are not clamoring onto the petition especially now that another woman, actress Charlotte Lewis, has come forward and accused Polanski of assaulting her when she was 16 and auditioning for his film Pirates.

The yuck factor has just gone up exponentially.

Lewis, 42, best known for being in The Golden Child in the 80s opposite Eddie Murphy held a press conference in LA on Friday and talked about her assault.

Here’s what she said to The Daily Mail about why she waited until now to open up about the allegations:

‘I know I should have gone to the relevant authorities at the time but I was scared and ashamed. I somehow thought it was my fault.

‘I’ve been so angry with some of the people in Hollywood who have spoken out in support of Polanski. Hollywood is giving the wrong message to paedophiles.

Here’s her description of the assault:

He told me he wanted me to stay the night with him and then he made a pass at me. He tried to kiss me and touch my breasts. I pulled away and told him that I had a boyfriend, which wasn’t true. It was an excuse, but he didn’t care.‘He just said very coldly, “If you’re not a big enough girl to have sex with me, you’re not big enough to do the screen test. I must sleep with every actress that I work with, that’s how I get to know them, how I mould (mold?) them.

Talk about the casting couch.

But she did return that evening and acquiesced because she needed the job.

‘I never told my mother what had happened,’ she said. ‘I was just too ashamed. I needed to do this movie, the money was good – I was being paid £1,200 a month. My mother and I were living in housing association accommodation and this was a life-changing amount of money.’

Life changing amount of money.  He knew it.  He held that over her head.  She was a kid.  Never should have been in this position.  Where was her mom?  People knew this guy had a problem with young women.  He never should have been able to be alone with them.  Everyone should have known better.  Shit, he was on the run from the law.  People knew that.

But it’s not her fault.  It’s his fault.  He abused his position as a director yet everyone looked the other way.

So now there are two.  Who doubts there are more?

‘I will never forgive Polanski. I’m telling the truth and Roman knows it’: Actress Charlotte Lewis claims she was abused by director when she was 16 (Daily Mail)

Roman Polanski petition circulating at Cannes
(Hollywood Reporter)

Deaf Indian Muslim Anarchist May 17, 2010 at 10:04 AM

oh come on. I have to defend Woody Allen. As far as I’m concerned, Soon-Yi was 21 YEARS OLD (over the age of consent) when she and Woody hooked up. They’re still married to this day and seems very happy together.

Secondly, she was NEVER his stepdaughter. Woody wasn’t dating Mia Farrow at the time she adopted the kids, the kids had a different stepfather.

But otherwise, Roman Polanski is a scumbag and he disgusts me.

Dominique May 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM

How many witnesses does it take before a man is recognized as a predator, when *he confessed* by pleading guilty? Oh, he’s paid, has he? He’s been making films, living the life of a star, for over 30 years. Can I have his fooking punishment please? Because it’s far better than my own life, which has been scarred by assault and sexual harassment. Who the hell are all these people feeling sorry for a corrupt, decadent, spoiled rich white man who has gotten away with his crime for decades? Oh, right: other spoiled rich white guys, mainly.

Beauzeaux May 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Woody Allen’s son has slammed his father – saying he can never forgive him for marrying his own adopted daughter. Seamus Farrow has branded the film director “immoral” after he married Soon-Yi Previn, who Allen’s ex-lover, Mia Farrow, adopted when she was seven years old. Seamus, Allen’s only biological son with Mia, said: “He’s my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression. I cannot see him. I cannot have a relationship with my father and be morally consistent.” Allen, who is 35 years older than Soon-Yi, justifies his relationship with his young wife on the grounds that she is not his real daughter. But Seamus, 18, has blasted that justification, saying that it is an “insult” to other children who have been adopted. He said: “I lived with all these adopted children, so they are my family. To say Soon-Yi was not my sister is an insult to all adopted children.”
Mia adopted Soon-Yi with ex-husband Andre Previn in 1980 but they split soon after and Mia began her relationship with Allen.

However, they broke-up in 1992 when she found nude photographs of Soon-Yi, then 19, on the mantelpiece of Allen’s Manhattan apartment.

Mia has never forgiven Allen for the affair, once saying: “It was such a sense of betrayal. Soon-Yi was a kid on the streets of Korea. She was seven when Woody met her.”

woody is scum as is polanski May 17, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I’m sorry but allen is equally just as digusting. He may not have adopted the girl, but he was living with the child at the time of being in a relationship with Mia. I would only assume he had some father like role to Soon-Yi. And to even dare start and continue a relationship with your partners child is disgusting. Mia and Allen were not separated before the pictures of Allen and Soon yi were found.

Also, this man was also acccused of having an indecent relationship with his own daughter. So, he’s no one to defend in my opinion.

Eileen May 17, 2010 at 12:44 PM

There are already more than two known, if you include Natssja Kinski. She was the age of consent and has not (to my knowledge) lodged a complaint, but there is no doubt that she was sixteen and he was her employer. It certainly is part of the larger picture… of an older man who is attracted to young, dependent, and less powerful women/girls, and feels no compunction about acting on his desires.

Disgusting man. The people who defend his actions are likewise, disgusting.

Lisa May 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I just read her story in the Daily Mail. It’s very disturbing and you know there are more women out there who had the exact same experience with him. I have one question, if this guy isn’t a pedophile, how come the girls are always 13, 15, 16? I mean if you’re 50 years old, wouldn’t a 21 year old still seem really young?

Allison May 17, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I actually believe the actress who has come forward and believe there were many others. First, Samantha Geimer, 13, who was a wannabe model/actresss, then Natasha Kinski, 15, who starred in Polanski’s movie, Tess, and now this woman, who was 16, who really wanted to break into Hollywood. Polanski shows a definite pattern of taking advantage of vulnerable young women.

But it’s not just creepy Woody Allen who has his own skeletons in his closet. Another fervent apologist, French Culture Minister Frederic Mitterand, admitted in his 2005 autobiography that he paid young boys for sex In Souteast Asia. Isn’t nice how pedophile slimeballs stick up for each other?

eli May 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Woody Allen hooked up with a someone he de facto parented from the age of 10 til whenever he crossed the line to lover. His only saving grace is that he was never technically her father (which I call bullshit on), and that their sexual relationship, as far as anyone knows, started once she was nineteen.

So I don’t need to know how he feels about rich and famous man raping a child.

snobographer May 18, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Eileen – Kinski was 15 when Polanski – um – “dated” her. It depends where you are, but that’s not age of consent for sex with a 45 year old in most places. Besides, it’s just gross. I don’t think Kinski’s said anything, but her name’s conspicuously absent from all those stupid petitions.

Julian Faherty August 18, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Great – I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, site theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Nice task..

Kelly Hermes August 22, 2011 at 12:34 AM

I learn something more challenging on totally different blogs everyday. It can always be stimulating to learn content from other writers and apply just a little one thing from their store. I desire to use some with the content on my weblog whether you don mind. Natually l offer you a link on your net blog. Thanks for sharing.