The Trainwreck That Has Become Lindsay Lohan’s Life

by Melissa Silverstein on July 7, 2010

in Actresses

I take no pleasure in the fact that Lindsay Lohan is going to jail for 90 days and then will complete another 90 days at an in-patient rehab.

But maybe, just maybe this will save her life.

Cause the track this young woman is on is killing her.  She’s a baby, just 24, but if you look at her face she looks much older.

Lindsay clearly needs help and her parents seem useless.  At her sentencing yesterday, Judge Marsha Revel was clearly pissed that Lohan was thumbing her nose at the court by missing court dates and missing her mandatory weekly alcohol education classes.  So she put her foot down and handed down a jail sentence.

This is a true cautionary tale of Hollywood gone really, really wrong.  Lindsay was a good young actress once upon a time.  She was adorable in The Parent Trap remake and very good in Mean Girls.

But then she just got so lost, so quickly.  The rumors of anorexia, the drinking, the drugs, the relationships and the car crashes.  Her life was a reality show.  Her handlers — agents, managers, publicists — should really be ashamed of themselves for what has happened to this young woman.  But I hold most all my contempt for her parents who did not parent this young woman when she needed it the most.

You can’t completely blame Hollywood.  There are many young actresses who are able to grow up in the limelight and turn out ok.  My current example is Dakota Fanning.  She’s working and seems to be a well adjusted 16 year old kid.  Another example of a young girl growing up well in the business is Abigail Breslin (but she stayed in NY.)  But I have no doubt that it is harder for a young woman to be a young woman in Hollywood with people wanting something from you every second of the day.  If you don’t have a good foundation, a stable family and a good sense of self…you see what happens.

Lindsay just never was able to figure it out and it makes me so sad.  But Hollywood is a fish bowl that also enables celebrities to act poorly because that’s who they make their money off of.  Well, if she is in jail and rehab she is not making any money for anyone especially herself and her family (does she support her mom?)  And once she gets out and tries to get another movie will she even be insurable.

My hope is that she can get her life together and maybe Drew Barrymore or Robert Downey, Jr. could help her out.  They were both turned their lives around.

Maybe she needs to take a break from Hollywood, finish school (did she even complete high school?), go to college, figure out how to stop using drugs and alcohol, and then give it another try.  I know that might not be realistic because in Hollywood if you are out of sight you are out of mind, but Lindsay needs to think about her life and her future.

Here is part of her appearance in court yesterday.

Lohan’s future on hold until jail, rehab are done
(AP)

Chris Evans July 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Dakota has parents who loved and protected her.

Lindsay has parents who used her as a cash cow and didn’t care what happened to her as long as they could be along for the ride.

Michelle July 7, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I agree with what you’ve said, but I disagree with posting this. Every news service on the web has a article about Lohan and her infamous nails.

The sad thing is, she’s not news for being a member of the film community anymore. She’s news only because she’s fallen from grace.

Please, can we not have one Lohan-free space?

JihadPunk77 July 7, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I agree with Michelle. Who CARES about her? She is all over the news and the last place I want to see a mention of her is here, although this is your blog and I understand you have the right to write whatever you want.

Chris Evans July 7, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I don’t see what the problem is with Melissa writing about her. This blog is called Women In Hollywood right? Her post isn’t some sensationalist piece just trying to poke fun a star fallen from grace. It’s an actual discussion about what Hollywood can do and has done to young women who don’t have the right people in place to protect them.

Alex July 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I agree. Lindsay was a talented young actress and her precipitous decline is emblematic of the stresses placed on these girls. We’ve also seen quite a few talented young men OD. Heath Ledger comes to mind. To be any good as an artist, you have to be able to feel and this business is brutal. Even more so for women, where the focus is almost solely on youth and beauty. If you don’t have a strong foundation, it’s hard to survive. And it’s tough to build a foundation when you’re surrounded by parasitic sharks.

Bel July 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM

“Will she even be insurable?”
“Did she even finish high school?”
“if you look at her face she looks much older.”

Obviously you were a fan of Mean Girls!

This post is utter bullshit.

Lou July 8, 2010 at 8:32 AM

She’s drinking and partying and taking drugs – she’s committed a crime and she is going to pay for it. Full stop. Other people have done it, other people will do it, other people are doing it. The difference is that she is a female Hollywood star and partying/ drinking/ drugging is something that seems to be accepted as a normal part of being a man in Hollywood – because she’s a woman suddenly she’s being treated like a kid who needs mommy to sort her out. She’s an adult, she is making decisions with how she lives her life, and she may or may not sort her shit out. It’s not our business to lecture/ speculate/ interfere.

sally July 8, 2010 at 10:13 AM

If you go to any court in the country, lots of young women and men are in her situation. Really. They aren’t past stars. They have potential and talents. They repeatedly get into violation of probation. They obviously have a problem with rebellion, thumbing their nose at the courts (grasping at that for a sense of control or testing how ‘special’ they are), and cannot hold a job. This is NOT a pure Hollywood tale, it’s just that the others don’t get camera time.

I think Lindsay has gotten a lot of “hands up” that other young and older people in her same boat in towns across America did not get – some jobs and opportunities – but I can say it is harder for women in the media than it is for men, because women trade on sex more than men. And people have such twisted sexual feelings about the pretty girl who turned them down or who they are jealous of that they love to see the fall. It’s a tough and serious kind of problem. And if you look at the men who have gotten out of the gutter, there’s always some angel of mercy/girlfriend who “believed” in them. The women who get out of the gutter rarely have that guy – unless it’s a guy who loves the control, and once you get better, it’s threatening to them. Women don’t often get that because men don’t often play that supportive role. Drew Barrymore has commented on the cruelity and isolation that the women alcoholics get in Hollywood as opposed to the men.

But frankly, you don’t screw with the courts, no matter how stupid they are, and courts can be stupid. She has played the system, daring them to come down on her – which nobody wants – it’s expensive and aggravating to the state. She was late and unprepared for all prior meetings with a judge. Really now…if you or I were 30 minutes late to court, what do you think would happen? If you or I did not fulfill our court ordered service, what do you think would happen. What if it happened repeatedly? What if our ankle bracelet went off? What if we showed up in court with ‘Fuck You’ painted on our middle nail and held it to our face as the judge talked to us – which is what she did yesterday? At this point, her lawyer must know she is working on charity.

As for ‘where’s the parents’ – it’s too bad they are just the instigators and cannot be jailed. Lindsay got dealt a bad hand on them and it makes me sick that the parent get media time off this. I mean, WHAT DO they do for a living besides live off their kids? Where do they get their money other than selling stories? Expect them to try to sell a reality show, a book, or something in three…two…one.

Julie D. July 10, 2010 at 5:01 AM

I have a friend like Lindsay. Like Lindsay, my friend has a history of getting away with murder – no repercussions. She had no idea that life’s realities would close in on her, as they must. Unlike Lohan, my friend doesn’t have a drug problem; but by ignoring responsibilities, she’s now car-less, couch-surfing, broke, and unable to gain residency in the UK due to her court troubles here (she’s half-British, but has look like a model citizen to petition for UK citizenship.)

I never saw Lohan act, nor have I followed her in the tabloids per se, but one thing broke my heart. I caught something on TV, when a reporter interviewed Lohan in the actress’s apt. I don’t know how that one got past her manager – Lohan’s apartment was a hoarder’s fiasco. The poor girl really is drowning.

This was a day or so after her sentencing, and the girl looked wrung out – but here it is: she still had a kind of radiance. I wasn’t prepared for that, but it was immediately obvious. It’s exactly the kind of thing you look for in casting, it’s like a perfect cup of coffee. If I had a script that called for someone like her (which I don’t have, nor do I plan to anytime soon) I would definitely want her to read, if she were sober.

Jail didn’t seem to hurt Paris. Plus, they say Lohan will only do a fraction of her sentence, due to overcrowding. And even then, in a special prison wing. Then on to rehab.

I hope Lohan gets the chance to get her feet under her and find her way back. I’d like to see her onscreen in something decent.

film woman July 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM

The biggest nightmare, that seems like suicide and I don’t just mean career suicide, is the role of deep throat, to be directed by a new director. It’s a hideous story, a hideously exploitative script…it such a bad choice for her. Truly, I think it would be suicide.
I also think that many would profit off of her death and that is why they lack the motivation to step up and help their cash cow survive the mess she’s gotten into. Look at how much money has been made off of Marilyn Monroe’s estate post mortem. It’s a business model.

As for comments about other women who are experiencing difficulty in life due to drug abuse, they are not doing so with all of us watching. All of us sitting by idly watching the slow death of a talented and skilled young actress. We are participating in this one’s slow death.