Private Practice To Focus on Rape

by Melissa Silverstein on October 26, 2010

in TV,Women Producers,Women Writers

This week, Private Practice kicks off a multi-episode storyline dealing with rape and its aftermath. Rape on TV is nothing new, but this time it’s not just a woman being raped for sport in a procedural where the investigators say “we’re going to get the guy who did this to you. I promise.” (How many times have you heard that line?

This time the storyline will focus on the woman.

I don’t know about you but I trust Shonda Rhimes to handle this issue more than I would trust any other TV creator. She’s always been on top of women’s issues and cares about how she portrays her characters. Here’s what she said about the storyline which will of course affect Charlotte King (played by KaDee Strickland) and the rest of the characters for the rest of the season (and probably series.)

A lot of violence against women on television is from the point of view of law enforcement…as opposed to standing in the shoes of the actual victim and seeing how it is for them and the people around them.

The show has been working with RAINN to make sure that the issue is handled with the respect and dignity it deserves.

Private Practice airs on Thursdays at 10pm on ABC.

First Look: Private Practice Confronts Rape (EW)

katie October 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I don’t know that I hold Shonda Rhimes any higher. But I have never been a huge fan of her writing anyway. Last season both PP and Friday Night Lights covered stories related to teen pregnancy and abortion and the FNL story far outclassed what PP ended up doing with their story. But perhaps this story will be different.

DCM October 27, 2010 at 6:16 AM

More anti-male feminist propaganda. Ho hum.

Alicia October 27, 2010 at 9:42 AM

@DCM- How is it anti-male to honestly depict the aftermath of rape? Since most guys I know are anti-rape, well aware of the definition of rape and think men who (date) rape are disgusting and don’t deserve the title, I wouldn’t say it’s anti-male. I’d say it’s common sense, especially in a world where far too many cases (especially by male victims) of rape go unreported and most rape kits taken at hospitals will never see the light of day. Rape has nothing to do with gender or gender equality. It is a serious issue that we all must face down and end. Men suffer from rape and its aftermath as much as women do.

greek chorus October 29, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Re: DCM’s comment — that dealing with the rape victim, who is frequently female, is being anti-male. Question: if the rape victim is a male — and that happens too — would dealing with the rape victim also be anti-male and ho-hum?

PP is how we come down after watching Grey's ; ) October 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I’m glad they are working with RAINN, however, Private Practice is just so bad. Every time I tune in, I am shocked more and more that the same genius that runs the show Grey’s Anatomy is also the show runner for PP.

My favorite characters on Greys Anatomy are Christina and Bailey, my favorite character on PP, is Charlotte.
I’ve had as much as I can stand of the broken Christina storyline and now the one character I cheer for on PP is going to be brutally raped? What is up with that Melissa?
Why are the most outgoing, talented, outspoken, strong characters being torn apart?

Pyun November 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I hate this storyline. And I don’t think Rimes is doing women any favors with her brand of writing. I marginally enjoyed this show but this could be the point of no return from me. I watch the show to be entertained, not for spiritual enlightenment or to see a good character get brutalized.

Nelson November 2, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I really don’t like this storyline. I really felt we were starting to get to know the real things about these characters and the issues in their past that have made them who they are in the present and know you add this storyline to me makes no sense. I really love this show but I may have to boycott the next few episodes until they move into a different direction

pandora uk December 1, 2011 at 3:29 AM

You had some nice points here. I done a research on the topic and got most peoples will agree with you