Hollywood Feminist of the Day: Mark Ruffalo

by Melissa Silverstein on January 17, 2011

in Awards,Women Directors

For standing up for female directors and saying this backstage at the Golden Globes:

I would just like to say to the academy members: why don’t you grow a pair and vote for Lisa Cholodenko as well!

Go Mark.

anne January 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM

It’s ironic he’d employ a phrase that equates male reproductive organs with courage or honesty or maturity or whatever in the process of advocating for a female film-maker. But it’s well intended and I’m glad he said it.

Scott Mendelson January 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I don’t begrudge him campaigning for his own film (especially as he was by far the best thing in it, which is usually the case in his films), but I don’t think the theoretical snubbing of The Kids are All Right can be automatically attributed to sexism. I didn’t care for the film, so I wouldn’t nominate for that reason alone. And frankly, I’ll be a lot happier if Kids Are All Right gets snubbed than if Winter’s Bone (arguably my favorite live-action film of 2010) gets left out for he-man garbage like The Town.

Chris January 18, 2011 at 12:17 AM

“It’s ironic he’d employ a phrase that equates male reproductive organs with courage or honesty or maturity or whatever in the process of advocating for a female film-maker. ”

MTE.

Julie Kerr January 18, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Mark Ruffalo was not the best part of the film. Come on.

That’s great that he gave a nod to the director.

Adela Rogers January 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM

@Scott The Kids Are All Right was compelling, beautifully acted, cleverly written, moving storytelling that even one who “didn’t care for the film” would have to have to admit that Annette Bening’s performance was extraordinary and tour de force. To say that Ruffalo “was by far the best thing in it,” is senseless and shows you were not in fact paying attention. It also reeks of a “default” thought process.

Anonymous January 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM

This was an ensemble piece, but everyone is allowed their opinion. If someone says that they liked Bening the best fine. If someone likes Ruffalo the best fine.

Free movies December 9, 2011 at 6:28 AM

Mark Alan Ruffalo (born November 22, 1967) is an American actor, director, producer and screenwriter. He starred in films such as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Zodiac, Shutter Island, Just Like Heaven, You Can Count on Me and The Kids Are All Right for which he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

Mimi December 15, 2011 at 7:58 AM

I Love Mark Ruffalo. I think that in his way, Mark Ruffalo is a bit of a feminist, I also believed that when I saw him played in “In the Cut” of Jane Campion.
However I didn’t like the movie of Lisa Cholodenko so much. I understood that some lesbians could feel slightly irritated by the fact that the character played by Julianne Moore was supposed to be a lesbian for 20 years, when she suddenly discovers that in fact she badly was craving for heterosexual sex. and after a couple of weeks of hot sex with the guy, she says “no I don’t want to live with you for christ sake I am LESBIAN”. It’s a bit inconsistent. At least she could have say “ok maybe I am not 100% lesbian”, and not using her “lesbianity” as an excuse to reject the guy.

acting classes la January 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

much respect to Mark Ruffalo for saying that. And he is spot on, it’s appalling the lack of recognition given to female directors by organizations like the academy. Not even one female nominee this year!

Honeymoon Packages in Manali August 28, 2012 at 8:46 AM

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in our community. Your site provided us with valuable information to help us get started.