The Politics of Hit Girl

by Melissa Silverstein on April 12, 2010

in Actresses,Movies,Politics

There aren’t many times when I go to a movie and I leave speechless.  But that did happen to me recently when I saw the film Kick Ass.  For those of you that don’t know, the film is about an average to slightly nerdy comic book loving kid who decides that he can be his own type of superhero.  He dresses up in a wet suit and heads out into the street to save some people.  The film is based on the comic book by Mark Millar, is written by Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn (the pair the brought us the underappreciated Stardust) and directed by Vaughn.

Now you ask why did Melissa Silverstein of Women & Hollywood a) want to even see this film; and b) what about it could have made her speechless?

The answer is Hit Girl. (Alert: there will be spoilers below)

First, let’s be clear.  This is a movie for adults.  If your kid wants to see it, say no.

Hit Girl is a character that I have never seen on screen before.  She is an 11 year old girl assassin.  This girl played amazingly by Chloe Grace Moretz is a walking destruction machine.  She shoots, she stabs, she bayonets.  She does things on screen that literally left my mouth agape.  FYI- no studio would touch this movie.  They loved it but said you gotta take out Hit Girl.  No one would finance a film with an 11 year old girl killer.  Those movies are just not made in Hollywood.

The thing about Hit Girl is not just that she is a brutal and ruthless killer.  She enjoys it.  Way. Too. Much.

And the language.  I really thought there were language limits but Hit Girl pushes those boundaries, and quite frankly, after this movie I don’t think there are any language barriers left.  They’ve been trampled by an 11-year-old girl.  Never before have a heard the c-word (yes, that word) uttered by a girl describing men.  While I was horrified at the moment I have to admit that I smiled at the same time because she was doing something onscreen I never thought I would see.  A girl kicking ass.  Literally.

So I am conflicted. The thing about Hit Girl as Jane Goldman said to me in an interview  and I agree with, is that because she is 11 the violence is not sexualized.  So much of violence we see in films is perpetrated on women because they are women.  Hit Girl kills because that’s what her daddy (Nicholas Cage) taught her to do (let’s not get into the bad parenting here.)  You know you’re into different territory when the first scene you see of your heroine is her father teaching her take a bullet in a vest.

The question I’ve been asking myself since I saw the film is does Hit Girl movie us forward or backward?  I don’t really have a final answer.  The pros are that she is actually the hero of the film.  She saves everyone and kills all the bad guys.  The last time I saw that was…well…never.  The actress who plays Hit Girl Chloe Grace Moretz wanted to play an Angelina Jolie type action role.  This is the type of part she told her agents to find according to a story in the NY Times:  “You know, like an action hero, woman empowerment, awesome, take-charge leading role.”  It warms my heart that young actress is interested in playing these kinds of parts, that they want to for lack of a better word, kick ass is cool.  Also, the fact that all these guys are destroyed by a girl never becomes an issue.  There’s no sexist bullshit about guys being killed by a girl.  She comes and wreaks havoc and all these guys want to do is survive.

The cons are the language and the fact that she uses her “girlness” to disarm people (because, really who would think a little girl could kick your ass?)

We would never be having this whole conversation about Hit Girl if the character would have been Hit Boy.  No one would care in the same if a 11-year-old boy said the c-word.  I’d probably just dismiss it as another sexist movie and character and move on.

I’m still very conflicted about this.  I don’t know if this is progress or if this is setting up girls in a very bad way.  But one thing I do know is that with all the buzz about the film surrounding the film I am hoping that the sequel will be called Hit Girl instead of Kick Ass 2.

Just a Sweet Young Actress? $&@%# Right!
(NY Times)

Fake Ray Ban Sunglasses June 9, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Please upload other video lessons related to cooking if you have, as I would like to learn more and more about all recipes of cooking. Fake Ray Ban Sunglasses http://www.fernbyfilms.com/wp-fakerayban.php Fake Ray Ban Sunglasses

burn the fat feed the muscle does it work August 2, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Paragraph writing is also a fun, if you know after that you
can write if not it is complicated to write.

Recupera A Tu Novia Mientras Duermes pdf August 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM

It is more often than not cruel to see things
this way; however it’s the easiest way that is effective. It’s hard to say that
there is because the situation of different people will have different solutions.
And what’s great about the challenge is that it enables you to preserve your connection with the person you love and prevent life and contradicting priorities from getting in the way of your happiness.

http://docmartensmotorcycleboots.blogspot.com/ August 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I’m starting up a new online website directory and was wondering if I can submit your blog? I’m hoping to mature
my directory slowly by hand so that it retains good quality.
I will make sure and put your website in the appropriate category and I’ll additionally use, “The Politics of Hit Girl | Women & Hollywood” as your anchor text. Make sure you let me know if this is acceptable with you by e-mailing me at: alexander_gore@gmail.com. Thanks alot :)

Fat loss factor August 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads
up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not
sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

The linden method Free August 24, 2013 at 4:33 AM

One of the common but destructive ways of trying to calm
these attacks is through the use of smoking or alcohol.
John’s Wort which helps to provide anxiety relief and controls and lessens panic attack occurrence. There are many safer methods than medications which may be even more effective.

Renegade Diet PDF September 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM

When that does not occur your system gets the false symptom of being hungry.
The tips discussed in this article are just the tip of the iceberg.
The last thing you most likely want is a bunch of
empty information.

5 minute learning machine pdf October 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Don’t say things like ‘I’ll never remember all this’, or ‘I
keep forgetting important dates’. If you
don’t have basil oil, just crush basil leaves to release the smell.
I would be surprised if you ever forgot a first name
again or forgot an answer to one of the questions on your exam.

el metodo gabriel pdf October 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I know this website offers quality based articles or reviews and other material, is there
any other website which gives these stuff in quality?

capture his heart free October 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM

It’s very easy to find out any matter on net as compared to textbooks,
as I found this paragraph at this site.

carb nite November 15, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog
that’s equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you
have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
I am very happy that I found this in my hunt for something regarding this.

Daniel November 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM

This isn’t a step forward. It isn’t a step back. I think we’ve been tossing this coin for long enough to snap out of it and realize that not all representation of women exists as a profession of which side of the feminist agenda the film-makers land on…and is rather just entertainment. This kind of nit picking can reach levels of absurdity so quickly it can actually be offensive. Irony!

Hit-girl is awesome and the shock value adds to how awesome she is, but she’s not sending a message to women. I really hope women aren’t taking notes when they watch this girl snatch the life from 42 people…bad people, sure…but killing is killing and this is a movie. In real life she’d be an abused child who was forced by her deranged father to commit murder, and raised to be dangerous. Of course she’d also have been dead before the movie even started, but that’s beside the point. If a psychopathic 11 year old girl is empowering, the feminist movement is in more trouble than I thought.

This is a fun and stupid movie with over the top violence and a plot that has no bearing in reality. It doesn’t take itself seriously and you probably shouldn’t either.

diychickencoopplansfree2013.blogspot.com December 9, 2013 at 3:19 AM

This will save you the headache and a trip to the medicine cabinet.
In search of some effortless chicken coop plans so
it is possible to create your chicken house promptly.

But if you want to keep your simple chicken coop plans simple,
instead of having a microcontroller, you instead attach a timer which you can set depending on the time of the sunrise and sunset.

Total Wellness Cleanse Review March 10, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Ӏ’m curious which blogging aոd site-ƅuilding platform you are
using? I’m new to blogǥing anԁ have been thinking about using the Quiƶilla
platform. Dо yօu think this іs a good platform to start with?
I would be very grateful if I could ask
you some questions through e-mail so I can learn a bit more before getting started.
When you have some freе time, please make sսre to ǥet in toucɦ with me at: ѕherrill_dearborn@freenet.de.
Mɑny thanks

allison watts dds March 12, 2014 at 1:06 PM

My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .net
from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on several websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.
I have heard very good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?
Any kind of help would be really appreciated!