Top 100 grossing films:
- Women represented 30% of characters, 29% of speaking parts, and 15% of protagonists/leads.
- Women are younger than men onscreen. The majority of women onscreen are in their 20s and 30s, while men are in their 30s and 40s. Males over 40 make up 55% of all male characters, while females over 40 make up 30% of all characters.
- 78% of male characters have definable occupations compared with 60% of female characters, and more men are seen in the workplace.
- 73% of female characters are white. African American characters make up 14%, Latinas 5%, Asian 3%, otherworldly 3%, and other 2%.
- 17% of all characters are leaders, but of those characters 21% were men and 8% were women.
Women Behind the Scenes
Top 250 grossing films:
- Women were 16% of the directors, executive producers, producers, writers, cinematographers, and editors.
- Women directed 6% of the films.
- Women wrote 10% of the movies.
- Women comprised 15% of all executive producers.
- Women accounted for 25% of all producers.
- Women comprised 17% of all editors.
- Women accounted for 3% of all cinematographers.
- Women comprised 2% of all composers.
- Women accounted for 23% of production designers.
- Women comprised 4% of sound designers.
- Women accounted for 9% of all supervising sound editors.
- Women comprised 2% of all special effects supervisors.
- Women accounted for 5% of all visual effects supervisors.
International Study of Films Released Worldwide (G, PG, PG-13 films released 2010-2013)
- There are 2.24 male characters for every female character.
- Only 30.9% of the speaking characters are female.
- Women comprised 7% of the directors, 19.5% of the writers, and 22.7% of the producers.
- Female characters are sexualized across the globe.
Geena Davis Institute, Gender Bias Without Borders
- 2% of the top critics are women.
- 36% of reviews by female critics vs. 21% of those by male critics spotlighted films with at least one women writer and/or director.
- 79% of the reviews by men and 6% of the reviews by women spotlighted films exclusively written and/or directed by men.